Welcome to the Visual Arts Center of Richmond, where we’re celebrating more than 50 years of creativity.
VisArts has the largest non-university arts program in Virginia, and welcomes you inside our doors to learn, play, experience and grow in our classrooms with one-on-one attention from our talented instructors. We have classes for all ages and all skill levels, and our classes have been voted “Place that offers the best classes for kids” and “Best place to take a class for fun” in Richmond Magazine’s 2014 “Best and Worst” issue. And we were featured on the “Richmonder’s Must Do List for 2013.”
In the past year we have touched more than 32,000 lives in our community. Our students and friends say they “love, love, love this place!” One student said that VisArts “healed my heart.” We help people get in touch with their creative sides, push boundaries and relieve the stress from everyday life.
Sign up for a class online or pop in during business hours and say, “Hi!” We are happy to talk you through the registration process and about what class will suit you best. We look forward to seeing you here at VisArts!
- Visual Arts Center classes are eligible for re-certification and continuing educations credit. Participating students and teachers should check first with their adviser or school system specialist to confirm necessary hours for credit. Upon request, those participating will receive a letter of completion from the program director.
- Unless otherwise noted, adult classes are open to ages 16 and older.
- Payment may be made by cash, check, or charge card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express).
- Full payment must accompany registration.
- Class fees will not be pro-rated for any reason.
- Classes without sufficient enrollment five to seven days prior to the first class will be canceled.
- Late registrations are welcome with space available and instructor’s permission, but will not be permitted after a class has met more than two sessions.
- A security person is on duty Monday through Friday evenings when classes are scheduled and is available to escort students to their cars.
VisArts Winter Weather Policies
Delayed Openings + Closures
In the event of inclement winter weather VisArts staff will use the following polices for closures and class cancellations.
VisArts staff will make a determination by 6:30 a.m. for full day closures or delayed openings for afternoon and evening classes.
In the event of midday weather or predicted evening precipitation, VisArts staff will evaluate the status of evening classes by 4:00 p.m.
All students will be contacted via their email address on file for all closures and cancellation. All closures and delays will also be posted on VisArts’ website, Facebook, and other social media.
VisArts staff will monitor road conditions and surrounding areas closures for reference, but will not follow any one institution for closings or delays. Please check the VisArts website or social media for final decisions about our hours of business.
Our first priority is the safety of our students, faculty and staff. In the event you cannot attend class feel free to contact our front desk staff with any questions.
Make Up Classes
In the event of a class cancellation due to a closure or delayed opening, all students will be contacted by the Registrar with a scheduled make-up date and time. If a make-up class is not able to be scheduled, due to lack of studio or instructor availability, students will be offered a credit or refund for that missed class time.*
*If a make-up class is scheduled by the VisArts Registrar, but a student is unable to attend, VisArts will offer only a credit for the missed class time. These credits will follow our usual credits policies.