Facility Rental Terms and Conditions
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond (VisArts) engages the community in the creative process through the visual arts, and we are pleased to offer our engaging spaces as the venue for meetings, parties, weddings and other significant events. The Commons, Courtyard, Dominion Community Room and Weinstein Writing Room each offer a unique setting in our beautifully renovated home in the heart of Richmond’s Historic Fan District.
Housed in the former Virginia Dairy Company building, the Visual Arts Center’s 30,000 square foot facility maintains an industrial sensibility while showcasing its spaces for making and exhibiting art. Brick, concrete, glass and metal offer a sleek background for your own decorative style. Enhance your event with artist demonstrations or guided activities for your guests.
When available, the Visual Arts Center of Richmond (VisArts) encourages individuals, groups, and organizations to use its facilities for functions, meetings and events in order to facilitate public participation in the art center and to advance the interests of VisArts through increased public support.
Renters should be aware of the nature of the spaces they are using, and activities should be appropriate for such a setting. VisArts’ primary concerns are the persons in the building, the appropriate care and safeguarding of its programs, exhibitions and ongoing classes. Thus, VisArts reserves the right to refuse facility rental due to concerns for the safety of the building, its holdings and/or conflicts with the goals and purposes of the organization. Events must not compete with, or detract from, VisArts’ ongoing public activities. The facility is rented “as is” in regards to furnishings, artwork, exhibitions and all other VisArts material and property. Art objects, furniture, or any other VisArts materials may not be moved for an event without prior approval.
In our mission to engage the community in the creative process, we hope that you will embrace the active teaching and learning that might occur simultaneously to your event as part of the experience of renting our space.
All facility rentals, reservations and agreements made between individuals, groups or organizations (the Host) and the Visual Arts Center of Richmond (VisArts) are subject to the following conditions:
- Please see the Pricing and Space Availability tab for a list of our rates and fees.
- Space rental fees are based on a minimum three-hour rental period. Event arrival and departure times, as stated in the event contract, are fixed and not subject to negotiation on the day of the event.
- Set up/Clean up time: Up to 3 hours before and 2 hours an event may be included in the space rental fees for setting up and breaking down; exact hours will be negotiated per event upon contract and will depend on existing functions within the facility. Set up and/or clean up times which exceed those hours will incur a fee of $50 per hour or part thereof. All hourly fees are billed during set up and clean up time.
- Base rental fees are for the spaces alone and do not include: food or beverages, licenses, tables or chairs, service charges, tax, staff/labor charges, coat check, valet, use of audio-visual equipment, outdoor tents, décor, linens, additional maintenance and security charges, et cetera. See “additional fees” on our Facility Rental Rates chart for more information.
- Events must conclude by 12 a.m.
- Events (including clean-up time) that exceed midnight will be billed an additional $100 per hour, in increments of one half hour. Payment is due within ten days upon receipt of invoice.
- Extended use of facility and higher Staffing fees may also be applied (please see Guarantees, Confirmation & Payment Terms and Staff & Security below)
Guarantees, Confirmation & Payment Terms
- A $250 non-refundable rental deposit fee and signed contract are required to reserve the space and time of your event.
- The remaining balance is due ten (10) business days prior to the event. Rentals coordinated ten or less business days prior to the event must pay in full at the time of reservation.
- Any overtime or additional charges will be billed separately and is due within (10) business days upon receipt of invoice following the event.
- Cancellations or postponement of dates that occur less than 60 calendar days prior to the event will forfeit the deposit and any other paid fees. Cancellations received 61 days prior to the scheduled event will receive 50% of the paid fees, less the deposit. Deposits will not be refunded for any reason.
- Postponing a scheduled event may be possible if VisArts is notified no less than 90 days prior to the scheduled event date, and that the event is rescheduled within one year of the originally schedule date. A new Contract must be issued and signed. Additional fees and revised terms as dictated by VisArts will also apply to the new event date. Payments received prior to the postponement will be retained by VisArts and applied to the new event fees.
- Extended use of the facility – The user will be subject to additional charges of $100 per hour or part thereof if Host, caterers, vendors, or guests arrive earlier than, or have not left the facility by the conclusion of the contracted event time.
- Methods of Payment – Personal or company checks and all major credit cards are accepted. All checks should be made out to the Visual Arts Center of Richmond. There is a $30 service charge for returned checks.
Food & Beverage
- All food and beverage service must be pre-approved by VisArts.
- Food and beverage service to 50 or more guests incurs a trash removal (dumpster) fee of $75.
- To protect the art as well as the floors and walls, no food or beverages are allowed in the True F. Luck gallery under any circumstances.
- An ABC license is required to serve beer, wine and/or liquor. The Host or Caterer must apply for, pay for, and provide a copy of the ABC license to the VisArts facility coordinator at least two (2) weeks prior the date of the event. The Host will be prohibited from bringing alcohol on the premises without the proper ABC license.
- An ABC license must be displayed during event hours.
- Food must be served in conjunction with any alcohol service and is also the responsibility of the Host.
- VisArts reserves the right to discontinue the service of alcoholic beverages at any time during a function.
- Bar service must end one-half hour before the departure time stated on the function contract.
Use of Caterer and/or Kitchen
- VisArts does not provide catering services. All arrangements for food or drink in the facility must be made through a VisArts-approved caterer. The Host may select and retain a caterer from the current approved list or submit another caterer for approval.
- You may find a list of recommended vendors here: http://visarts.org/facility-rental/preferred-vendors
- The Host’s caterer is required to remove all food and beverage trash from the facility; broom sweep and damp mop all food preparation areas, clean any food residue from the tables, and comply with all other VisArts Rental Policies. The kitchen and all kitchen equipment must be left clean to Health Department standards and in their original order.
- The Host pays the rental fee of $50 to use the Commons kitchen, $30 for the Dominion Room kitchen.
- VisArts’ kitchen is equipped for temporary storage and preparation. Warming ovens, refrigeration and ice are not available. Serving ware and kitchen equipment is not included in any rental and must be provided by the Host or Caterer.
- All trash must be placed in the dumpster or otherwise removed, and all outside rental equipment (dishes, glassware, etc.) must be removed at the end of the event.
- Any repairs, replacement of materials/equipment or extraordinary cleaning costs associated with the Caterer’s or Host’s use of our facility will be assessed and billed to the Host after the event. The Host must deliver reimbursement payment to VisArts within (10) business days upon receipt of invoice following the event.
Insurance, Indemnification & Liability
Required for organization and corporate rental – A certificate of liability naming the Visual Arts Center as an additional insured in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence must be provided at least 30 days prior to your event. The Visual Arts Center requires written proof of this coverage no less than 10 business days prior to your event.
- VisArts shall not be held liable, and organizations using the facilities shall waive all claims, for injury or damage to person or property sustained by said organization or any occupant of VisArts resulting from or during the event.
- Hosts and their guests assume all responsibility for their automobiles and for any personal property either checked or left in or around the building. VisArts will not assume or accept responsibility for damage or loss of any items or articles left on the premise by the Host prior to, during, or following the Host’s function.
- The Host is responsible for the conduct and actions of invited guests while they are on VisArts premises.
- VisArts is not liable for any failure to provide the agreed services or facilities due to labor disputes, accidents, riots, war, government restriction or requirements, or any other event or circumstance beyond the control of VisArts. Any such non-performance shall be excused and the agreement may be terminated without further liability.
- VisArts’ liability is limited to the amount of the contract and shall not exceed the total sum paid to date by the Host under any circumstances.
Staff & Security
- A staffing rate of $30 per hour applies from the beginning of set up until one hour after the premises are vacated.
- Rentals that exceed midnight will be charged a staffing rate of $50 per hour.
- VisArts staffing provides security to safeguard the facility and its artwork and to secure the building. It is not retained to serve food or beverages, provide childcare, assist with set-up or breakdown or clean up. Staff does not function as personal security for the benefit of the Host or guests attending the event. (Third-party security is available; details below.)
- Security may be compulsory for your rental, depending on the times and nature of your event (i.e. number of guests and/or if alcohol is being served). It must be prearranged with the facility rental staff at the time the event is booked. Security is provided through the Richmond Police Department. The Host must provide facility rental staff a copy of their ABC license no less than two weeks prior to their event. If the Host fails to provide the ABC license in time and an officer cannot be secured, VisArts reserves the right to cancel the event without return of payment. Police security is billed per hour at a rate of $28 – $33/hour.
Gallery & Tours
- You may choose to have the gallery open during your event for an additional staffing fee of $30 per hour.
- When there is no exhibition in the gallery, it may be possible to rent out the gallery; however special rental restrictions apply.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the gallery under any circumstances.
- A privately guided tour of the gallery may be available for your guests, led by a trained VisArts staff member. Please inquire with the facility coordinator.
- VisArts is not responsible for an exhibition being cancelled or changed before or during your event.
Signs & Decorations
- VisArts must pre-approve all signage, decorations, and décor, including plant and floral arrangements.
- Set up and dismantling of equipment or decorations must not disrupt public use of the facility and its functions.
- VisArts does not offer ladders or other equipment to aid with decorating.
- Nothing may be affixed to any interior or exterior surface of the Visual Arts Center of Richmond without prior approval. Decorations may not be taped, nailed, wired, glued or pinned to the walls, floors or ceilings.
- No open flames are permitted. Candles in glass containers or votives are allowed in certain spaces.
- No confetti, rice, birdseed, flammable props, or live animals are permitted on the property.
- At the end of the function, the Host must remove all decorations and any other articles brought into VisArts.
- If any damage is made to the walls or other surfaces by the Host, repair costs will be billed the Host after the event.
- Amplified music, deejays and/or live musical groups and the location thereof must be approved by VisArts facility staff.
- Music must not disturb other ongoing classes or functions within the facility and must comply with current Richmond noise legislation.
- Music that is exceptionally loud is never permitted. VisArts reserves the right to lower the sound level during an event.
Audio/Video & Technical Needs
- Select rental spaces are equipped with audio, video and sound inventories.
- Your facility rental staff member will coordinate the planning of, and provide pricing for, any special audio, video, sound, and/or light needs and their operation.
- The Host is responsible for any and all damages that occur as a result of the event, including damages to the building, fixtures, equipment, and personal property. VisArts will bill the Host for the repair or replacement charges after the event. Payment is due within ten days upon receipt of invoice.
- Deliveries may only be made on the event date during designated hours as to not conflict with VisArts activities and operations, and must be coordinated through a facility rentals staff member.
- VisArts reserves the right to refuse any unanticipated deliveries or set-up materials.
- Holding fees:
- Unanticipated deliveries received from third party vendors arriving prior to the contracted set-up period or remaining after the contracted clean-up period will be billed at the rate of $100 per hour or part thereof.
- Anticipated deliveries received from third party vendors arriving prior to the contracted set-up period or remaining after the contracted clean-up period will be billed at the rate of $50 per hour or part thereof.
- VisArts encourages the rental of the Courtyard, however cannot make adjustments for your event based on unfavorable weather conditions. Please plan accordingly.
- Tents and other outdoor arrangements must be pre-approved by VisArts facility staff; the Host will coordinate tent and other rentals with an outside vendor.
- The Visual Arts Center of Richmond bans guns from the premises.
- Smoking is not allowed in the building or within 20 feet of any entrance.
- Street parking in the neighborhood, as well as access to 8 spaces in the front of the building and approximately 35 spaces in the VisArts back parking lot are available on a first come, first served basis. Parking for your guests cannot be guaranteed by the Visual Arts Center.
- Overflow parking may be negotiated with Binford Middle School. Host must inquire with the school office to schedule.
- Please be mindful of any street parking signs. VisArts is not responsible for any parking tickets or other damages incurred by vehicles.
- VisArts staff is responsible only for setting up and breaking down its own equipment, such as tables, chairs and trash containers and only on a pre-arranged basis. All other set-up, break down and cleaning is the responsibility of the Host.
- The Host is responsible for all rental spaces being left in the same condition it was found.
- All equipment, trash and rentals must be removed immediately following the event.
- All rentals are charged a house-keeping fee ($50-100 based on space rented) which we collect to cover cleaning costs such as bathroom supplies, mopping, carpet cleaning and professional cleaning services.