These student rules and policies are printed in our registration materials, posted in the studios, and read by instructors during the first night of class.
- Students are to enter and exit the building by the front doors on W Main Street, or via the rear entrance accessible from the parking lot unless directed by the night manager or an instructor to use a different exit.
- For safety reasons, students are asked to provide the name and number for an emergency contact on the first night of class.
- Only currently registered students may use the Visual Arts studios and equipment, and only during the period (duration of class) for which the student is registered. Students are not allowed in the studios between classes and are required to remove any personal property from VACR at the end of each class. Materials left behind will be discarded or considered an in-kind donation.
- Registered students who are also members may make use of open studio time (as posted in the commons and on the website) for practice as long as no class is in session. Students are not permitted in studios other than that of their enrolled class.
- Studios are for practicing techniques taught in the classes. Students are not allowed to use the studio or equipment for production or any other purposes.
- Smoking is not permitted in the building.
- Clean up is everyone’s responsibility. Always clean up your work area before leaving: This includes the floor, tables, tools and equipment. Throw away your trash. Turn off equipment and return tools to their storage location.
- Class cancellations are announced on WRVA- AM 1140 and on the VisArts website & Facebook. Morning class closing announcements will be made by 9 AM, evening classes by 3:30 PM. We follow the closing schedule of VCU if this information is not available on VisArts’ sites.
- Please familiarize yourself with emergency exits. In the case of an emergency, leave all personal belongings and follow your instructor to the exit. Remain outside the building until cleared to return.
- Students are not allowed in staff offices, kitchen or other restricted areas of the building unless accompanied by an instructor, studio tenant, or other staff member.
- The Front Desk staff does not take messages for students or relay incoming calls.
- Students are not allowed to receive mail or other packages at the VACR address.
- Students must respect VACR property, including furnishings, equipment, and supplies.
- Students are required to follow directions of the instructors and staff, and to show common courtesy in their interactions with instructors, staff and other students.
- The Visual Arts Center reserves the right to dismiss any student, without refund, for behavior that in the opinion of instructors or staff is disruptive to the learning environment
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond reserves the right to modify or supplement these student rules and policies without notice. It is each student’s responsibility to periodically review these posted rules and policies for any modifications or supplements.